“Equipping the Saints for Pastoral Ministry.”
We are committed to equip the saints for pastoral ministry through quality graduate-level distance education programs in biblical, theological, ministerial and pastoral studies informed by Incarnational Trinitarian faith.
Grace Communion Seminary serves the needs of pastors and others engaged in Christian service who want to grow deeper in relationship with our Triune God and to be able to more effectively serve in the Incarnational life of the church in Jesus Christ.
Grace is the essence of our lives. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ reveals God to us, grants us life in him, leads us in forgiving and being forgiven, and gives us salvation. Our Triune God and his grace and love through Jesus Christ is the center of our theology.
Communion defines the relationship we have with God, Jesus, and one another. The communion of the Holy Spirit binds us with Jesus who is the head of the church, enlivens God’s love in our hearts, and unites us as followers of Jesus Christ. We live in inseparable unity in Christ in the perpetual effects of his incarnation, crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, and Pentecost.
Seminary describes the scope of our educational goal. We are committed to enabling pastoral ministry in the universal church that effectively shares the love of the Father with the world. We teach from a perspective of Incarnational Trinitarian theology.
“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14 ASV).
GCS provides holistic Christian education for laity and ministry to develop biblical and theological understanding for pastoral leadership by means of directed readings, online lectures, written assignments, practical application experiences, and interaction with colleagues and professors.
As fundamental to the accomplishment of these purposes, we need to be dedicated to the search for and dissemination of truth. We therefore believe that the students, faculty, staff, administrators, and board members should be committed to and supported in their pursuit of knowledge and truth.
Our institutional goals express our intent to educate pastors and other Christian leaders in graduate-level programs centered in Incarnational Trinitarian faith:
- Serve graduate-level educational needs of pastors and others engaged in Christian ministry who seek to grow deeper in relationship with our Triune God and to be able to serve more effectively in the Incarnational life of the church in Jesus Christ.
- Provide formal programs of instruction and other learning opportunities that foster intellectual curiosity; facilitate the work of the Spirit in transforming the student; help the student be sensitive to the lead of the Spirit to the moral and social needs of the family, the church, and the surrounding society; and cultivate in them a willingness to respond as God leads them to address the global needs of humanity.
- Provide seminary education that conveys the Trinitarian nature of God in the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit.
- Provide courses and programs that meet traditional academic standards, but are designed to suit the needs of pastors who can study only on a part-time basis, and also allow fulltime students to progress at a traditional pace.
Our institutional objectives further describe the scope of our distance education programs:
- Provide quality distance education programs for graduate students in biblical, theological, historical, ministerial, and pastoral studies that are centered in Incarnational Trinitarian theology
- Provide credentialed faculty members who have experience in teaching and in ministry-related areas.
- Provide adequate administrative staff to facilitate direction and coordination of student services, faculty development, financial accountability, and technological support.
- Provide structured graduate-level programs in a semester-long format that are readily accessible to clergy and others engaged in Christian ministry. These courses are offered in a flexible manner through technologically sound, cost-effective educational systems.
- Provide holistic Christian education through online courses by means of directed readings, online lectures, written assignments, practical application experiences, examinations, and interaction with peers and professors.
- Provide a curriculum that enables students to meet personal goals in higher education, from taking courses of their choice in the Master’s Level Continuing Education Courses, to a master’s degree program.
- Provide courses that give students a good foundation in biblical studies, theology, church history, and Christian ministry, suitable for pastoral work or for further study.
- Provide effective interactions between students and faculty, as measured by at least a 95 percent positive rating on our end-of semester survey.
Student Learning Outcomes
Through maintaining the educational objectives in our curriculum, students are intended to gain competence in the following learning outcomes:
- Explain the revelation of the Bible in its historical and cultural setting as it relates to God, Jesus Christ, and salvation, and its application for faithful living today.
- Reason from a sound theological basis as new covenant Christians centered in Incarnational Trinitarian faith.
- Model the love of God the Father, the grace of the Son Jesus Christ, and the communion of the Holy Spirit in congregations.
- Conduct the work of pastoral ministry in witness to and representation of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Integrate biblical exegesis with sound theological exposition that informs personal spiritual growth and that directs effective ministry in Jesus Christ.